Sunday, April 14, 2013

What do you think about?

I am a firm believer that our thoughts eventually become our reality. The things that we think about we bring about. For example, if I constantly think about messing up during a presentation then I am probably going to mess up. Or if I am constantly telling myself that I am useless and worthless then I am going to feel crumby about myself. This is because if we choose to think it, then our minds will create it. The mind is no respecter of persons. You must decide if you want give it good thoughts or bad thoughts, but whatever you choose to think, it will create. That is why we have be careful about the things that we surround ourselves with. That is why the media is one of Satan's greatest tools to bring us down. If we are daily listening to music that talks of drugs, violence, and immorality then what do you think is going to show up in lives? Hopefully it doesn't but music and other things can influence our thoughts and actions if we allow it to. The prophet Brigham Young said, "The greatest mystery a man ever learned, is to know how to control the human mind, and bring every faculty and power of the same in subjection to Jesus Christ; this is the greatest mystery we have to learn while in these tabernacles of clay." (Journal of Discourses, 1:46-47) We can learn to think of virtuous things with practice and persistence. And the greatest of all good things is God. But I think it's interesting to occasionally ask ourselves, "What do I think about during the day?" "Are my thoughts uplifting?" "Are they positive?" "Are they clean?"

No comments:

Post a Comment